By Brandon Lemons
In the weeks leading up to Easter, Friedens is hosting a prayer meeting on Wednesdays from 6:30-7:30pm via Zoom. Each week, there is a time for giving God thanks and praise, praying for the specific needs of individuals in the church family, and praying for a “theme of the week.” This week’s theme is Friedens’ discipleship. Regardless of whether you join tonight’s prayer meeting, I (Pastor Brandon) encourage you to pray for the people and topics listed below.
In terms of discipleship, this week’s topic specifically focuses on God’s work to grow the people of Friedens as followers of Jesus. In a couple of weeks, the “theme of the week” will be outreach; therefore, this week’s topic is focused on the spiritual growth of those within the church rather than praying for people outside the church to come to faith in Christ (even though that is a worthy goal).
Here are a few relevant Bible passages:
Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ. From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.
“[Jesus] is the one we proclaim, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone fully mature in Christ. To this end I strenuously contend with all the energy Christ so powerfully works in me.”
· That those who are new to Friedens will get well-connected and will grow spiritually.
· That people who have disconnected from Friedens during COVID will reconnect soon.
· That the breadth and depth of Friedens’ discipleship, which has been hindered by COVID, will recover soon.
· That the Friedens Family will intentionally prioritize investing in their spiritual growth rather than getting caught up in busyness, stress, and distractions.
· That the church family as a whole and as individuals will be growing in spiritual maturity, in biblical literacy, in enjoying Jesus, in the fruit of the Spirit, in holiness, etc.
· That people of all ages and backgrounds will connect well and grow spiritually.
· That God will guide and work through Friedens’ official ministries such as worship services, small groups, and classes.
· That informal relationships among the Friedens Family will have an “iron-sharpening-iron” effect.